Today I have a powerful workout for you to build strength in your entire body in 7 moves, plus a bonus full body stretch you can do afterwards or anytime.
I get a lot of questions about what is the best workout to do or what is the best time of day to work out, but what it really comes down to is what is the best for YOU?
Contrary to popular belief, there isn’t one “best” for everyone. The best workout is the one you DO, and the one you do when you’re rested, prepared, and fueled.
It doesn’t have to be an hour long or any set amount of time, it can be half of the workout you planned on, and it can be at any time of the day you can fit it in.
I’m all about the “all or something” approach and remembering that it’s okay to go at your own pace without pressuring yourself to get it all done at a certain time or in a certain way.
We talk about this and share many other helpful resources in Rock Your Life, my online home workout studio and private women’s fitness community, so you have all the tools and support you need to achieve your goals.
For this workout you’ll want to have some weighted objects like dumbbells or water bottles handy – anything to add resistance to help strengthen your muscle tissue.
I know that you’ll be feeling energized and strong by the end of this workout – so let’s get right to it!
Awesome job with that workout! One of the many resources you’ll have access to in Rock Your Life is the extensive class library with over 1200 workout classes like this one.
Plus you also have access to many other types of classes, from warm-up and cool-down stretches, to restorative yoga, pilates, mobility, mindset and more! Here’s one I recorded to complement the total body power workout.
Enjoy this quick full body cool-down stretch, designed to go with today’s workout:
Looking for a workout plan with variety, accountability and support for your fitness journey? I’ve got you covered!
Join me in ROCK YOUR LIFE, my online home workout studio and women’s fitness community!
We’ve got dozens of 30 day Challenges to choose from so you always have a plan, hundreds of workouts in our class library so you’re never bored, and so much support for you in our private support group!
Start a 30 Day Trial today!
Total Body Power
Click to expand and see all workout move descriptions
Equipment: Weighted Objects (water bottles, dumbbells, household objects), Swiss Ball or Elevated Surface
Format: Perform each movement for the prescribed time and repetitions and repeat each superset for 3 rounds.
Move 1: Alternating Reverse Lunge to Overhead Press (8-12 each side)
- Begin standing with feet hip distance apart, core braced, chest upright and with one weight in each hand at shoulder height, palms facing each other.
- Step your right foot back behind you maintaining an upright posture and engaged core, bending the knee.
- As you step back, press the weight in your right hand straight up overhead, keeping your shoulder in its engaged position back and down and not allowing it to rotate forward. Maintain stability in your front left foot and distribute your weight evenly over your two feet.
- Bring the weighted object back to your shoulder as you step back your right foot back to meet your left.
- Repeat with your left side and alternate both sides.
- MOD: Perform this with no weights and/or hold onto a chair or wall to help stabilize.
Move 2: Chest Fly on Ball (8-12)
- Using a stability ball or elevated surface to support your head and upper back, begin in a reverse tabletop position with a braced core and feet firmly planted on the floor.
- Hold your weights straight over your chest with your arms extended and palms facing each other. You can have a slight bend in the elbows to prevent them from locking.
- Lower your weighted objects with control to line up with your body as you open your arms.
- Using the strength of your chest, bring the weighted objects back to starting position and repeat.
- MOD: Perform this exercise on your back on the mat with bent knees.
Move 3: Elevated Bridge Lift (8-12)
- Begin on your back with your knees bent and your heels on an exercise ball or elevated surface.
- Keeping your core braced, press through your heels to lift your hips up and engage your glutes.
- Lower your hips back down toward the floor with control and repeat.
- MOD: Perform bridge lifts with your feet on the floor.
All Whole Betty supplements are now available in the UK and Canada!
At Whole Betty, we believe that whole foods should form the foundation for what you put in your body. That’s why our ingredients are mindfully sourced and consciously created so you get the maximum benefit, every time.
Click Here to shop the collection!
Move 1: Dumbbell Lunge Twists Press Out (0:45 – 1:00)
- Begin standing with feet wider than hip distance apart with your core braced, holding 1-2 weighted objects close to your chest. Keep your upper body engaged and shoulders back and down, not allowing them to rotate forward.
- Bend your knees in line with your toes, sending your hips back as you come into a sumo squat.
- Maintaining your squat, pivot to the right to come into a right-facing lunge. Simultaneously press your hands out in front of you at chest height.
- As you bring your hands back to your chest, pivot back to the sumo squat position. Some variation of raising up and down is natural, however work to keep your body low.
- Repeat on your left side, then continue to alternate.
- MOD: Remove the press, and simply work on alternating between a sumo squat and a lunge to each side.
Move 2: Ball Knee Tuck (8-12)
- Bring yourself into a tall plank position, bracing your core and stacking your hands below your shoulders. Place one leg at a time on top of the stability ball so that the ball is positioned somewhere between the top of your feet and the top of your shins.
- Press your feet and shins down into the ball for support, and bend your knees to pull the ball in toward your torso using your core strength. Maintain a flat back, without lifting your hips, and keep your gaze neutral (not looking up or down).
- Use control to roll the ball away from you until you are back in the starting position. Repeat.
- MOD: Come into to a tall plank on your mat or with your hands on an elevated surface. Stack your shoulders over your wrists and brace your core. Alternate driving your knees towards your chest.
Move 3: Skull Crusher (8-12)
- Using a stability ball or elevated surface to support your head and upper back, begin in a reverse tabletop position holding weighted objects up straight above your chest. Lower the weighted objects straight back to about a 45 degree angle: this is your starting position.
- Bend the elbows to about 90 degrees, lowering the weighted objects toward your head. Keep your elbows hugging in towards each other as you bend, not allowing them to open out to the side.
- Extend the elbows straight back to where you started, at the 45 degree hold position.
- MOD: Perform this move on the mat with your back flat or hips lifted in a glute bridge, feet on the floor.
Squat to Press (10)
- Begin standing with your feet about hip distance apart, with your shoulders back and down (as if they were against a wall) while holding weighted objects on your shoulders
- Send your hips back as you come into a squat, bracing your core and keeping your chest up, allowing your knees to track in line with your toes.
- Drive back up using the strength of your glutes and press your arms up overhead. Your weighted objects can face forward or face each other. Bring them back down to your shoulders, and repeat the squat.
- MOD: Use an elevated surface like a couch, chair ottoman or bench to check your squat form and ensure you’re using the correct muscles. Consider practicing this move without any weighted objects to start, and instead pressing soft fists overhead.
Thanks for joining me, Rockstar – I’m proud of you for giving it your all!
Leave me a comment below and let me know how you’re feeling, where you did this workout, and anything else you’d like to share!
I’d love to see YOU inside Rock Your Life…
…so I can support you in ROCKING your body AND your life! Get stronger and healthier with a community of rockstars to support you, home workout challenges for a fit body, and fresh new workout classes each week to keep you motivated!
Check out Ellen’s amazing progress in Rock Your Life!
See for yourself and join us with a 30-Day Trial!
The post Total Body Power Workout appeared first on The Betty Rocker.