Today I have a workout to strengthen your entire body with simple equipment.
This workout is made up of 2 supersets to work your body from head to toe and will focus on a combo of resistance training and plyo/explosive cardio moves to really maximize your time and effort.
Want to learn more about how these 2 types of training support your body composition during your regular cycling years, and in peri and post menopause?
Read the newest post: Shifting the Muscle to Fat Ratio: Women-Specific Body Composition Considerations
As we go through time, maintaining (or increasing) our muscular strength is essential so we can be stronger, enjoy a healthy metabolism, and prevent the loss of mobility, bone density, and energy that come with a sedentary lifestyle and lack of regular movement.
When we focus on strengthening, growing and preserving our muscle tissue, we start training, eating and resting in smarter ways, ways that go beyond aesthetics and support our long-term health – and as an added bonus, frequently have an aesthetic result as a natural byproduct.
I recommend using high quality supplements in addition to a balanced whole food diet for best results. During this workout I’m drinking Rock and Restore my essential amino acid formula, out of my “Love Your Body” shaker bottle .
Now let’s get right to it and build strength together!
Awesome job with that workout! One of the many resources you’ll have access to in Rock Your Life, my online home workout studio and women’s fitness community, is the extensive class library with over 1200 workout classes like this one. With 5 new classes added each week, there’s always something to look forward to!
Plus you also have access to many other types of classes, from warm-up and cool-down stretches, to restorative yoga, pilates, mobility, mindset and more! Here’s one I recorded to complement this full body workout.
Enjoy this quick full body cool-down stretch, designed to go with today’s workout:
I hope you enjoyed that workout! I love one-off workouts, but having a plan to follow is so much more effective. Join us in Rock Your Life for the Bikini Body Challenge and have a plan to follow for the next 30 days and beyond.
Grab a 30 day trial today and start rocking your challenge from absolutely anywhere!
Full Body Blast
Click to expand and see all workout move descriptions
Slow Burpee Bicep Curl (0:45 – 1:00)
- Place a weighted object on either side of the top of your mat.
- Begin standing at the top of your mat with your core braced and chest upright.
- Bend your knees, plant your hands on the mat, and step your feet back into a tall plank position with shoulders stacked over wrists, braced core, back flat and neutral gaze (not looking up or down).
- Bend your arms and lower yourself toward the mat for a push-up while keeping your shoulders away from your ears. Be mindful that your hips and torso are moving in one line.
- Maintaining a braced core and flat back, push yourself back up to the starting position.
- Step your feet back up to your hands, load the weight in your heels and pick up your weighted objects, driving through the heels to stand with a braced core and elevated chest.
- With palms facing forward, a braced core and shoulders back and down (as if they were against a wall), bend at the elbows to curl the weights up to shoulder height.
- With control, lower the weights to the starting position. Be mindful that you’re keeping your elbows in at your ribcage for the duration of the curl.
- Bend your knees to place the weights back on the sides of your mat and repeat sequence for allotted time.
- MOD: Complete the push-ups with your knees on the mat or complete the burpee with your hands planted on an elevated surface (bench/couch/chair) instead of the mat.
Side Plank Snatch (8-12 each side)
- Begin on the mat with your left elbow planted directly under your left shoulder, core braced, hips stacked, and both legs extended so that your body is in a straight line. Have a weighted object positioned on your mat in front of your left armpit.
- As you press away through the left arm and leg to lift your hips off of the mat, grip the weighted object with your right hand and lift it straight out and up to stack your shoulders, squeezing between your shoulder blades.
- Simultaneously lower your hips and the weighted object back towards the mat with control, being mindful of not collapsing through your left shoulder and keeping your shoulders and hips stacked.
- Repeat for allotted time and switch sides.
- MOD: Bend and place the bottom knee on the mat for the duration of this move.
Lateral Barrier Jump (0:30-0:45)
- Place a yoga block (or any other barrier-type object) in the middle of your mat and stand on the far left side of the mat with your knees bent.
- Power through your feet to explode over the barrier to the right (use your arms to propel you).
- Land lightly with a braced core and evenly distribute your weight along each entire foot while allowing your hips and knees to bend to absorb force. Your knees should be in line with your toes as you set up to jump back to the left.
- MOD: Make this low impact by taking out the jump and step one foot at a time over the barrier, coming into a squat on the other side. Keep your core braced and your chest elevated, and drive through the heels to stand. Repeat step over and squat for allotted time.
Support your active lifestyle with delicious vanilla protein!
Our superfood protein blend supports your body from the inside out. With 20 grams of organic plant protein (containing all the essential amino acids), you’ll be loving the energy and vitality you get each time you shake it, bake it, or blend it up with I Vanilla Protein!
KANG Squat to Alternating Pullback Row (8-12)
- Begin by standing with your feet hip-width distance, holding a weighted object in each hand, your core braced and shoulders back and down (as if they were against a wall).
- Bend your knees in line with your toes, sending your hips back to come into a squat.
- Drive through the heels to straighten your legs, maintaining a flat back and hinge in the hips, as you touch the weighted objects to your shins with your palms facing your body.
- Draw your elbows out and back for a pullback row, squeezing between the shoulder blades.
- Being mindful of not rounding in the shoulders, lower the weights with control close to your shins and drive through the heels, squeezing the glutes with a braced core, to come back up to standing.
- Repeat sequence for max rep range.
2 Plank Jump Ins to 2 Plank Jacks (0:30-0:45)
- Begin in a tall plank with your core braced, back flat, hands stacked below your shoulders, and a neutral gaze (not looking up or down).
- Bracing through the shoulders and palms for stability, jump your feet up towards your hands then back to a plank position.
- Complete two plank jump ins.
- While in plank, keep your hips level with your shoulders and jump your feet out to the side and then together, as if you are doing a jumping jack.
- Complete two plank jacks.
- Continue this sequence for allotted time.
- MOD: Perform this movement with your hands on an inclined surface, like a chair, couch or ottoman. You can make this low-impact by removing the jumps and stepping your feet out and in.
Single Leg Hip Thruster (8-12 each side)
- Sit yourself on the mat in front of your bench (or couch/chair/ottoman) and place a weighted object on your hip creases.
- Press yourself up with your elbows and feet to position your back against the elevated surface; the edge of the surface should be at the base of your shoulder blades. Your knees should be aligned over your ankles, with your feet planted on the mat.
- Brace your core and drive through your heels to lift your hips and weighted objects towards the ceiling, knees tracking in line with the toes, squeezing your glutes and pausing at the top.
- In this position, transfer the weighted object over to your right hip crease and extend your left leg out and off of the mat.
- Drop your hips back down toward the mat with control and repeat the sequence for allotted reps while keeping your left leg lifted and hips level with each other.
- Switch sides and repeat sequence.
- MOD: Keep both feet planted for the duration of this exercise and/or perform this sequence without weighted objects.
10x Squat to Press
- Begin standing with your feet about hip distance apart, with your shoulders back and down (as if they were against a wall) while holding weighted objects on your shoulders
- Send your hips back as you come into a squat, bracing your core and keeping your chest up, allowing your knees to track in line with your toes.
- Drive back up using the strength of your glutes and press your arms up overhead. Your weighted objects can face forward or face each other. Bring them back down to your shoulders, and repeat the squat.
- MOD: Use an elevated surface like a couch, chair ottoman or bench to check your squat form and ensure you’re using the correct muscles. Consider practicing this move without any weighted objects to start, and instead pressing soft fists overhead.
You rocked that workout! Be sure to check in and let me know how you’re doing today – I love hearing from you!
Krystal was so glad she joined us in Rock Your Life – especially when she looked back over her progress over 6 challenges and saw she had lost 30 pounds and gained a group of friends along the way with the resources and support she found in Rock Your Life.
I’d love to see YOU inside Rock Your Life where you’ll have access to:
- Dozens of 30 day Challenge programs that you can start, stop, and re-use as many times as you like! Choose to get daily emails to support you on your journey!
- Over 1200 home workout classes to choose from by length of time, type of workout, body part trained and more so you can stop, drop and Betty Rock anytime, anywhere!
- Over 300 healthy, delicious Betty Rocker recipes!
- Our private women’s fitness community where you can make new friends, and get support from me and the Team Betty Rocker coaches as you check in for your workouts!
Take it for a Test Drive with a 30-Day Trial!
The post Strong Body Workout Blast appeared first on The Betty Rocker.